Thursday, January 16, 2014

I’m good. No really, I’m good.

Today someone asked me how I’m doing.  It doesn’t sound that odd.  I’m sure someone asked you the same thing today and it wasn’t a big deal.  But, when someone asks me how I’m doing it could get a little awkward.  If I answer “good” I will get one of three responses.


Response 1: Oh that’s good. (followed by a “are you really good?” head tilt)

Response 2: Oh that’s great! (followed by a statement indicating I must no longer have cancer) 
Whoops. “Yes I still have cancer,” I inform the inquirer, crushing their elation.  “I’m still good though.  No, really I am still good even though I have cancer.”

Response 3: Oh. (followed by a confused look because they “thought” I still have cancer)
“Yes, I still have cancer and I am good.”

Here’s the thing, I have cancer AND I am good.  No, really, I am good.  I am happy.  I have a great life.  I have cancer, and that sucks, but my life is great.  I have days where I feel like shit and if you ask me how I’m doing that day I’m likely to tell you that I’ve seen better days, but generally I’m good.


I don’t let the cancer take over my life in such a way that I don’t enjoy myself.  There are things I would like to do but can’t, but there are so many more things I can still do.  I wake up each day happy, my loving husband by my side. I feel privileged that I am able to go to work.  I have wonderful supportive friends and family.  I have so many blessings, so many things to be happy for.  I don‘t have to be “bad” just because I have cancer.  I don’t have to always be sad or angry or scared.  Sure, I feel those things regularly but I don’t let those feelings take over my life.  I don’t let them linger.  I feel them.  I feel them fully, completely.  And then I let them go.  I’m over it.  Yes, just like that.  I give myself permission to feel those bad feelings for 10 minutes, half hour, a day, whatever it is I think I need and then when that time is up, I release it.  I let it go because I will not let cancer take over me, keep me down.  I want to live while I’m alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment