Saturday, June 29, 2013

Packing With Cancer


I am currently sitting in the airport waiting for our delayed flight to start our honeymoon! Yay! I am so excited we were allowed to go. 

Let me just say that packing was a royal b*tch though and almost did me in. I am one of those people who naturally tends towards ridiculously organized, over prepared, and prompt. This means a normal trip for me starts with a list of things to do and a packing list divided into categories. I save my lists so I don't reinvent the wheel each time I travel and it seems to work well for me.  


So, take all my usual prep and now add to it medical information that needs to be with me, prescriptions, OTC meds to help with the side effects of the prescriptions, a need for specific brands of product (regular toothpaste and mouthwash cause mouth sores), schedule of when to take what medication and with or without food, and a slew of other considerations. You can see why I almost lost it packing yesterday. 

I made it through security without my chemo port setting off the metal detector, no one questioned my giant bag of pills, and I didn't get any questions about my id. I have mini everything in my carryon, big versions in my suitcase, copies of my doctor's note that should allow me handicap access when needed. I think I've covered all my bases, I'm a lot calmer, and I'm watching the clock waiting another half hour when I am allowed to eat again. If I've forgotten something, well, it's just too darn late.  Maybe I'll get this part of my new normal down to a science too though I hope one day I get to travel without all this insanity. 

Bon Voyage! 

No comments:

Post a Comment